Want to work on the front line of technology for social good?
Are you looking for a job that allows you to engage your passion for social good with an opportunity to impact the world with innovative technologies? Are you ready to engage your philanthropic desires with your communications know how to help us change the world?
InSTEDD, a Silicon-Valley based non-profit with projects worldwide, is leading the way in using the power of technology to help communities improve their health, safety and development. We are currently seeking a Global Communications Lead who will lead InSTEDD’s global communications, marketing and brand management efforts in support of international partnerships and help to share the story of how technology can have social impact. This position is based in the United States with a preference for Silicon Valley and Seattle areas.
As the Global Communication Specialist at InSTEDD you will lead the organization’s global communications, marketing and brand management efforts in support of international partnerships and programs at InSTEDD. You will provide strategic leadership and vision in the area of communications at a global level, oversee the management and administration of all communication efforts across the organization and enhance partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders. The main activities for this role include the management and promotion of InSTEDD’s online presence, development of core organizational messaging, production and organization of communication assets, and support the linking of strategic communication with business development and program delivery. This role is accountable for working with the Executive Team to clarify and articulate the organizational level content which includes the vision, mission, values, objectives, audiences, positioning and personality of the organization. S/He will also work with contracted professionals to improve upon the visual elements of the organization’s brand that are used in external communications.
- Increased awareness & understanding of InSTEDD in media and relevant audiences
- Increased business development opportunities through direct support of InSTEDD strategy and business development plans
- Create and maintain a database of communication assets & media
- A network of employees, partners, funders & customers engaged in communications
- Position InSTEDD as a thought leader in:
- Human Centered Design
- Attract contributors to InSTEDD: in-kind support, volunteers, etc.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
1) Communications Leadership, Vision and Strategy development and execution:
- Development, communication and implementation of a communication strategy and execution plan.
- Synchronize communications efforts with InSTEDD business development and positioning priorities.
- Advise the InSTEDD Executive Team and Board of Directors on the global positioning and appropriate messaging of InSTEDD
- Assist all InSTEDD teams and partners in using communications assets, and provide examples and templates for others to make their own communication materials.
- Maintain a network of peers and leaders in communication to keep up to date about the latest projects, leading organizations, and technology, in InSTEDD’s field of work.
- Coach InSTEDD Staff to be better spokespeople for the organization
2) Communication Channel and Asset Management
- Creating and producing external-facing content across diverse mediums with strong narratives that bring to life InSTEDD’s mission and impact as evidenced through current project work.
- Managing all main social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) of InSTEDD and staying in sync with the iLab affiliates.
- Ensuring that all content presented through print and digital properties meets the highest standards of accuracy, consistency and editorial integrity and embodies InSTEDD’s voice and brand.
- Monitor social media and industry sites for customer service opportunities and initiates conversations on behalf of InSTEDD and stays current with social media trends and tools – includes attending networking and educational events, reading blogs, and listening to podcasts.
- Amplifying the work of full-time InSTEDD employees and their projects, giving regular feedback to improve visibility and coverage.
- Working closely with the Business Development team to create compelling communication assets.
- Analyze and report social media activity on a quarterly basis for successes and new opportunities.
3) Public Representation (External facing focus)
- Author and publish blogs and articles on InSTEDD and strategic partners work on the InSTEDD homepage as well as mainstream media outlets.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization at external events and manage media relations throughout the organization.
- Ensure InSTEDD mentions in appropriate catalogs, case studies, organization/tool databases, etc
- Respond to requests for communications materials, interviews, and event participation requests.
4) Business Development and Program Delivery Support:
- Facilitate internal processes towards the effective development of new partnerships and business development opportunities with international media, educational institutions, development foundations and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with counterparts in funding partners to locate opportunities for collaboration on joint communication and advocacy initiatives.
- On an ad-hoc basis, support timely business development opportunities and program delivery as directed by the executive management team.
- Coaches iLab communication staff, external contractors and volunteers that contribute to the organization’s communications.
5) Management of resources
- Manage designers, photographers, producers, editors, social media experts, volunteers, writers, branding & marketing experts, consultants and other roles contributing to the communication needs of the organization.
- Well developed communication and public relations skills as evidenced by a portfolio.
- Undergraduate degree in communications and training in international relations, media, journalism or a related field of study is preferred.
- At least 8 years of relevant international and/or developing country experience, with communication work at global levels.
- Fluency in English, oral and written; and preferably with additional languages.
- Sensitivity and experience with communications related to humanitarian aid, and technology, and low income settings
- Ability and willingness to travel in the Americas, Asia, Africa, and Europe as needed.
- International project management experience, including in leading complex initiatives.
- Extensive experience managing communications channels, working with senior technical professionals in high- pressure contexts.
- Experience working in low income countries and interacting in vulnerable communities.
- Savviness in social media and online presence design
- Demonstrated ability to reach out and partner internally and externally; and comfortable working in a decentralized organizational culture
- Strong emotional intelligence and a sense of empathy
- Well developed understanding of current global issues